If you’ve paid attention to the technology world, you’ve probably heard of Chat GPT, an innovative artificial intelligence (AI) tool capable of having human-like conversations without hindrance. But, who is the owner of Chat GPT?
Chat GPT is a product of OpenAI, a San Francisco-based AI research and implementation company founded by Elon Musk, Sam Altman, Peter Thiel, Ilya Sutzkever, Jessica Livingston, and Reed Hoffman.
As you explore the world of ChatGPT, it’s important to understand the team and resources behind it. In this article, we’ll delve into the intricacies of owning ChatGPT, including OpenAI’s corporate structure, funding, and investors.
Let us begin!
Table of Contents
What is OpenAI?
OpenAI is a research organization that focuses on developing and promoting friendly artificial intelligence (AI). It was founded in 2015 by a group of entrepreneurs, researchers, and philanthropists, including Elon Musk and Sam Altman, with the goal of advancing the field of AI in a responsible and beneficial way.
OpenAI conducts research in a wide range of AI-related areas, including machine learning, robotics, and economics. He has developed several influential AI technologies, such as GPT (Generative Pretraining Transformer), a language model that can generate human-like text, and DALL-E, a neural network that can generate original images based on text descriptions.
In addition to its research efforts, OpenAI also works to educate the public about AI and its potential impact on society. It organizes events, publishes research papers and articles, and engages with policymakers and other stakeholders to help shape the direction of AI development.
Who Develop ChatGPT?
Chat GPT is owned and developed by OpenAI, a leading AI research and implementation company based in San Francisco, which was launched in December 2015.
Nobody owns OpenAI. The company was founded by a collection of notable figures such as:
- Sam Altman: Renowned entrepreneur and investor Sam Altman is the CEO of OpenAI. Previously, he was president of startup accelerator Y Combinator and co-founder of location-based social networking app Loopt. He joined as one of the first board members.
- Elon Musk: Say no more, co-founder of Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink and The Boring Company. While some believe that Elon Musk owns OpenAI, he was actually one of the original board members along with Altman. But in fact, he left the board of directors in 2018.
- Greg Brockman: CTO of OpenAI. Brockman is responsible for the organization’s technical vision. Previously, he was CTO of Stripe, a technology company specializing in online payment processing.
- Ilya Sutskever: OpenAI’s chief scientist. Sutskever focuses on promoting research and innovation in the field of AI. He is a leading expert in the field of deep learning and has contributed to the development of various neural network architectures and AI models.
- John Schulman: Researcher at OpenAI. Shulman specializes in reinforcement learning and robotics. He has made important contributions to the development of artificial intelligence models, including the Chat GPT AI language model.
- Wojciech Zaremba: Another OpenAI researcher, Wojciech Zaremba, has played a pivotal role in AI research, especially in the areas of robotics and reinforcement learning. His experience has been instrumental in shaping the Generative Pretrained Transformers (GPT) series and other AI projects on OpenAI.
The creation of OpenAI was accompanied by a $1 billion investment commitment that would provide the company with the necessary resources to fulfill its ambitious mission of developing artificial general intelligence (AGI) for the benefit of all humanity.
Although OpenAI started out as a non-profit organization, in 2019 it evolved into a so-called “limited profit” company, meaning investor income will be capped at 100 times investment.
Additionally, the AI company was split into two parts within the same organization to fit the “limited benefits” model:
- OpenAI LP: OpenAI Limited Partnership (LP) is an organization responsible for AI research and development. It is structured as a partnership that allows for flexible resource allocation and efficient collaboration between researchers, engineers, and other team members.
- OpenAI Inc.: OpenAI Inc. is the parent company serving as general partner of OpenAI LP. Has the highest decision-making authority in the organization and is responsible for managing, allocating resources, and ensuring that the OpenAI mission and principles are upheld. Any investor income in excess of the established limit will belong to this legal entity.
In addition to investments from prominent stakeholders such as Reid Hoffman and Peter Theil, OpenAI receives funding from a variety of sources, including individual investors, corporations, and government grants.
One such corporation is the tech giant Microsoft, which has invested billions of dollars to make some people think it owns Chat GPT. But we will explore this idea in the next section.
Is ChatGPT Owned By Elon Musk?
Chat GPT is not owned by Elon Musk. While Musk was one of the co-founders of OpenAI and reportedly provided $100 million in initial funding, the organization operates independently and is not owned by any individual.
Elon Musk left the company’s board of directors in 2018. The investigative report claims that he offered to take control of OpenAI and run it on his own because he believed it was lagging behind search engine giant Google.
But his offer was turned down by Sam Altman and the other founders, so he left.
In a 2019 tweet explaining his departure, Elon Musk said he wanted to focus on the problems at Tesla and SpaceX and that he parted ways with the company on “good terms.”
However, Musk reversed his stance in February 2023 when he publicly criticized OpenAI for being a “closed source, maximum profit” company that is in bed with Microsoft.
During an exclusive interview with Fox News in April 2023, the billionaire tycoon announced that he would launch his own AI platform called “TruthGPT,” “Ultimate Truth-seeking AI” to challenge Microsoft and AI firm Google, and provide users with a “third option”.
Is ChatGPT Owned By Microsoft?
Microsoft has invested a lot of money in OpenAI, including a $1 billion investment in 2019 and another investment in 2021.
In January 2023, OpenAI and Microsoft announced an expanded collaboration, with Microsoft investing an additional $10 billion in OpenAI.
The partnership ensures that Microsoft Azure remains the sole cloud service provider for OpenAI, and Microsoft will deploy GPT models in its products, as well as introduce new product categories based on this technology, such as Azure OpenAI Service.
However, OpenAI remains a separate entity and is not owned by Microsoft, so rumors that the tech giant owns Chat GPT and actually controls OpenAI are false.